Patrick’s Cabaret is seeking new board members to join an active and dynamic board of directors. It’s an incredibly exciting time for the Cabaret and there many ways you can be involved. We are seeking individuals who are interested in joining an active board, particularly individuals with the following skills/abilities: finance, administration/program management, fundraising. Interested parties should email Kirstin@WeathervaneConsulting.com.
For the full job description for Board Members and a description of Committee participation, look below or click to download:
General board of directors’ responsibilities
The Patrick’s Cabaret board of directors has three essential responsibilities:
- Ensure Patrick’s Cabaret is executing its mission
- Set policy related to how we fulfill our mission
- Ensure our organization’s legal compliance, financial health and operational sustainability.
Expectations of board members
Board members are expected to participate in and support the following activities:
- Support the mission of Patrick’s Cabaret as an enthusiastic advocate for our programing, events and activities. Promote shows, volunteer opportunities and fundraising activities to your friends, family and extended network both in person, through personal and professional networks, and via social media.
- Attend board meetings. These usually occur on the third Tuesday of each month from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm. Most meetings are held at ArtsHub West at Intermedia Arts 2822 Lyndale Ave. S. Minneapolis, MN 55408. To remain in good standing, board members must attend a minimum of nine out of twelve meetings in a year. Members can attend meetings via conference call if it is not possible to attend in person. On occasion, a special meeting of the directors may be scheduled between the regular monthly meetings.
- Be an active member of at least one board committee. The committees meet regularly, usually about once a month. Current regular committees include but are not limited to: Finance and Infrastructure, Grants and Fundraising, Leadership and Culture, Constituencies and Relationships.
- Attend programs and special events with as much regularity as you are able. Board members are asked to pay for their own seats.
- Participate fully in Patrick’s Cabaret fundraising activities such as helping with mailings, fundraising for online events, hosting private events, and participation in special events.
- Make an annual financial contribution to Patrick’s Cabaret. There is no minimum contribution; we just ask that Patrick’s Cabaret be at the top of your giving range.
- Attend and participate in board planning retreats and board training as scheduled.
- All new board members are strongly encouraged to attend at least one Board Member training opportunity. MAP for Nonprofits offers two sessions of “Board Boot Camp” that provide a thorough orientation about the role and responsibilities of board members in the governance of Minnesota non-profit organizations. The Nonprofits Assistance Fund (NAF) offers several opportunities to deepen your understanding of specific board roles and responsibilities, as well as non-profit operations.
- Established board members are expected to actively identify, recruit and mentor new board members, inviting potential members to programs and activities, and serving as a “board buddy” to mentor new board members.
Board members are expected to spend 7 to 10+ hours per month in support of Patrick’s Cabaret. This would include attending a 2 hour board meeting, 1-2 hour committee meeting, 1+ hours spent on specific tasks between meetings, 2+ hours attending shows.
The term of a board member is three years, with an option to renew membership for another, consecutive term provided the member remains in good standing. No member will serve more than six consecutive years.
How to Get Involved
It’s an incredibly exciting time for the Cabaret and there many ways you can be involved. We are seeking individuals who are interested in joining an active board, particularly individuals with the following skills/abilities: finance, administration/program management, education programs, and fundraising. Please email Kirstin@WeathervaneConsulting.com with interest in having a conversation about joining the Board.
Consideration will happen on a rolling basis, with priority consideration for current openings to applicants connecting with us by August 1st, 2017.
Please contact us now to find out more about how you can make a huge impact with this critical organization. We’d love to have you in our corner.
Board Committees are structured to assist the Board with the work of the organization. Each Committee is assigned a "charge," or general area guiding its work. While Board members are elected, Board Committee membership is open to all, and is the best way to "try out" Board duties and demonstrate your commitment ahead of serving on the elected Board of Directors.
Please review the Committee charges below and contact us to start a conversation. If you're unsure of where you might fit best, please email Board Development Consultant Kirstin Wiegmann at Kirstin@WeathervaneConsulting.com to determine where your talents might best find a home.
Finance and Infrastructure
Committee Chair: Paul Nemeth
Chaired by the Treasurer, reviews monthly financials, cash flow, insurance, audit reports and other compliance issues as they relate to finance. Looks at risks, opportunities and program planning in relation to finances. Responsible for ensuring that financial reports are accurate and are distributed to the full board monthly. Looks at risks, opportunities and program planning in relation to finances. Confirms that financial reporting legal requirements are met. 1099s, W2s, 990s, business registration, etc. Research and confirm appropriate insurance policies, and explore opportunities for a new, permanent venue.
Grants and Fundraising Committee
Committee Chair: Chandler Daily
Chaired by a member of the board, working primarily on communicating with and cultivating individual donors, identifying strategies for reaching out to potential donors. Developing and executing fundraising activities. Identifying and pursuing grant opportunities and sponsorships.
Leadership and Culture Committee
Committee Chair: Peter Foster
Chaired by a member of the board, to continue to develop, refine and execute the organization’s strategic plan: Mission, Core Values and Competencies, etc. Identify and recruit new board members as needed, and oversee development and implementation of HR policies. Provide guidance regarding development and maintenance of an environment that is courageous, safe, and supportive for performers, staff, audiences and partners.
Constituencies and Relationships Committee
Commitee Chair: Bee Bletsian
Develop and execute branding initiatives, marketing for Patrick’s Cabaret and our artists, website and social media, maintain and improve data bases, identify and document processes to capture and organize organizational knowledge. Formalize and maintain effective volunteer program.