Internship Opening - Lightning Rod Production Intern
Reports to: Lightning Rod Co-Producers
Employment status: Intern
Time commitment: The Intern will begin as soon as possible and work through the final performance on Saturday, March 31st, 2018. We estimate 2-3 hours/week in the weeks leading up to March 25th, and 15-20 hours in the week of March 25th-March 31st depending on interest and availability.
Compensation: $100 stipend is available upon successful completion of internship
Deadline: Priority review for applications received by Friday, March 9th at 11:59pm
The Lightning Rod Production Intern will work with Co-Producers Kat Purcell and Marcel Michelle to produce Lightning Rod, a project inviting a community of writers, directors, and performers to create new works in the space of a week. From Sunday, March 25th to Saturday, March 31st, the production team will help produce 6 brand new works at Phoenix Theatre.
This is an educational experience, above all, and the Intern will walk away with skills in event planning, devised performance, performance curation, and technical production capacities. The Intern will meet dozens of artists while working with a respected professional performance organization on an exciting and innovative new program.
This opportunity is best suited to those interested in experimental, political and community-driven theater. See photos from last year's Lightning Rod here and here.
About Patrick’s Cabaret
Founded in 1986 by Patrick Scully, Patrick’s Cabaret is a queer-led performance art incubator supporting the growth and development of artists on the edge of culture. Our work strives to center artists of color, with disabilities, and with queer and trans identities. We grow new art and new artists by encouraging artists of all experience levels to try new things, take risks, and present works-in-progress. We connect artists to education, performance platforms, tangible resources, and to each other, to put their talents to work. We build a diverse network of artists committed to forwarding a radically inclusive and progressive creative community where artists on the margins can thrive.
The Production Intern will...
- Assist with artist communications
- Help prepare artist packets and scripts
- Help host all artists at the Community Gathering on Sunday March 25th
- Attend tech rehearsal and other rehearsals as interested and able, and
- Assist with production responsibilities at final performances.
The following is the anticipated schedule. Please note we are willing to make accommodations to schedule expectations for the right candidate.
- Weeks of March 12th and March 19th - Approx 2-3 hours a week working on various organizing tasks, with the option to work at the Patrick’s Cabaret office, in a coffee shop or possibly from home
- Week of March 25th-31st:
- Sunday March 25th - Community Gathering (call at 2:00pm, day end at 7:30pm)
- Tuesday & Wednesday, March 27th-28th - Rehearsals (schedule TBD, each rehearsal is approx 3 hours long, and participation is optional)*
- Thursday March 29th - Tech rehearsal (call 5:30pm, day end at 9:30pm)
- Friday & Saturday, March 30th-31st - Performances (call 6:30pm, day end at 10:00pm)
* Optional according to your interest and availability.
People of color/Indigenous individuals, people with disabilities, and people with queer and trans identities are especially encouraged to apply.